Friday, April 07, 2006
Mishi-Mishi-Moo!


Dear Pop-Pop,
The weather is warm, the flowers are blooming, the gardens are growing, and I think of you when I smell fresh cut grass or see a fat, red, ripe tomato. It's funny how a smell, a sound, or a texture can make us remember someone or something. I am introducing the world to you. Everyone should know what a beautiful, selfless, fiercely independent, and passionate man you were. I love you more than words will ever be able to do justice. World...meet my Pop-Pop....

There are those people you meet and forget, then there are those that you meet that you are absolutely captured by. They steal your heart and touch you in such a way that you know when they are gone there will be a huge void. That's my Pop-Pop. I sit here now and tears softly roll down my cheeks. Pop-Pop was the type of man that wanted to see everyone happy. Whether it was cooking a delicious meal,building cash register scanners from wood, or sharing the fruits of his labor from his garden, he wanted everyone to have a smile on their face. He supported each and every whim, no matter how trivial or how much work it may take. He painted the kitchen whatever color my grandmother wanted, changed the countertops, put in different floors, built a deck...you said you wanted something, you got it! Although, he drew the line at getting a pool...

Pop-Pop was the most SELFLESS man I have ever known. He was a young, hot Navy man traveling the world, enjoying freedom, and exotic women in every port. No responsibilities except himself. Then he met my grandmother and her 4 little girls. Most men would have ran the other way. Not my Pop-Pop. Instead, his heart melted and he fell in love with my grandmother and her 4 little girls. He took them into his heart and protective embrace as if they were his own flesh and blood. He was more than a father, he was a DADDY. Father's are the ones that donate the DNA, but daddies are the ones that guide, protect, love unconditionally, and encourage. they have a genuine desire to see you happy and doing well. He was the very definition of Daddy and Grand-daddy.

He never took himself too serious as you can tell by the pictures. He was a ham! He got such a kick out of Mandy and I and the things we made up. I never lived down "Who ever saw a man eat a hat?", a Laurel and Hardy routine from their movie "Way Out West." He always asked Mandy to say "Mishi-Mishi-Moo", her word for Mitsubishi.

His girls were his pride and joy. He loved them in a way that it moved him to tears, loved his grandchildren with equal fervor, and couldn't get enough of his only great-grandchild, Tyler. While he was stubborn man when it came to slowing down his activity level due to his heart, sometimes cranky and impatient with idiotic drivers or lights that took too long to change, he was a marshmallow inside and full of emotion, a book about the Navy would move him to tears. Weddings were definitely off limits. He embraced our husbands, but lovingly referred to all boyfriends as "Chester" until we married.

Give, Give, Give and ask nothing in return. Whether it was taking me on base to grocery shop or tolerating my dogs, he enjoyed seeing us happy no matter the cost to him. We were at the commissary one time and he was buying treats for Rosie (my grandmother's cat) and I said, "I thought you didn't like cats," he looked at me and said, "But Mamama does." I thought how very cool it was that the happiness of my grandmother was more important than his fear of cats.

My Pop-Pop. A selfless man with a bottomless heart filled with nothing but love. Passionate about nature and a gentle soul. I miss him but I know he is enjoying his garden in heaven and his body is whole and his heart will never give out. He sends us signs on a daily basis to let us know that he is watching over us. The martin's are nesting at mom's and my banana plants are thriving. He is encouraging us to live our lives to the fullest and without regret. Thank you to my Pop-Pop for being in our lives and loving us with all your heart and then some!!!



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mishi Mishi Moo! Lol!!! what a funny saying

Blogger Taz said...

This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing your Pop-Pop with us. It made me think of my dad. It'll be a wonderful day when I get to hug him again.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer