Wednesday, April 12, 2006
Putting It Into Perspective
http://kcsun3.tripod.com/id210.htm

Ahhhh...finally getting to sit down! Not something a nurse on a Pediatric Sub-Speciality unit gets to do very often. There is always chemo to be hung, blood products to infuse, urine to measure, IV medicines to give, and some type of bodily fluid that needs testing. Don't forget the child who is alone and needs entertaining or closer observation...challenge enough on day shift, but night shift calls for creative thinking. Many a child have ended up at the nurse's desk for dance contests, coloring sessions, and naps in a makeshift crib in an oversized wagon.

My feet were aching and I was just catching my breath and then I hear it. The call bell. That undeniable, persistent ringing! I go towards the sound and pick up the receiver, "Can I help you?", I try to say invitingly. "I GOTTA GO POTTY!", a frantic, little voice says. "Ok, I'm coming, " I say back to her in my best little girl voice (which isn't too hard for me).

I enter her room and she's doing the pee-pee dance while sitting in the bed. "Let's go," I gently and playfully encourage her. She gets out of the bed and I maneuver the pole behind her in such a way to avoid pulling her IV lines, while giving her enough room to do what she's gotta do. Very expertly, she slides her pink dance leotard with pink and silver sparkle ballet skirt around her IV lines and hops on the potty. I hold her IV lines protruding from her chest up out of her way. This precious little pale skinned, bald headed, bright eyed, freckled nose little girl. Fighting for her life while playing dress up in a pink ballet leotard and draping her ankles and one of her wrists in colorful, oversized plastic bead jewelry. "I like your anklets and bracelet," I tell her. "Yeah, I made one for each foot, " she beams, "and I have one bracelet, I don't have one for this one though, I have to make one."

She pulls her leotard back up, getting it twisted a bit and one of her anklets falls off. "Oops,"she says, as she steps back into it as I hold it up for her. We straighten her leotard and head back back to bed. No sleep yet ! She's found a prize on the way back! A real syringe that the nurses use. Oh boy! "Can you squirt the stuff out for me so I can play with it?", she pleads. "Of course, " I say as I empty the saline into the sink. How can I resist such a cute little face and an even sweeter voice???

I hand the syringe over, she thanks me, and I head back to the desk to check the medication record to see who needs meds next. These children I have the pleasure of interacting with are so amazing. They have faced more adversity in their few short years than most adults have or will ever face. They fight a daily battle to stay healthy and alive. Yet, they don't act sick or say "I can't b/c I'm sick." They are still dancing at the desk with the nurses, coloring pictures, dressing up, making jewelry, and most of the time giving love, hugs, and smiles.

I sit here feeling sorry for myself after a busy night at the hospital and feeling spread too thin. Then I remember ALL the children that have and will enhance my life. The hiliarous comments they make (a very well spoken 2 year old once told me, "OOOOH, Don't you cut your eyes at me," when I rolled my eyes playfully at her after she said something funny), the pictures and jewelry they make for us, the pride they display when they get to flush their line, and ultimately getting to see them happy to go home after a hospital stay.

I DO LOVE being a pediatric nurse and I find it hugely rewarding. My families and kids are amazing and have taught me so much about loving life and enjoying every moment you have been given! I have shed both happy and sad tears, but in either case I am grateful to have been touched by the little angels. Thank you to my 7B patients!


1 Comments:

Blogger Trouble said...

Wow, what a rewarding job you must have. I applaud you.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer