Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Hallmark is Overrated!




I remember a certain "Sex and the City" episode when Carrie says, "Think about it. If you are single, after graduation there isn't one occasion where people celebrate you ... Hallmark doesn't make a "congratulations, you didn't marry the wrong guy" card. And where's the flatware for going on vacation alone? "


I came to a realization today that my celebrations...Hallmark celebrations are over. Besides birthdays, what do I have left? I am married so I've had that party, I have decided to not have kids so baby showers are out of the question...so what else is there? "Congrats, you paid off your car" day? Yes! Exactly! It's up to me to celebrate me! This doesn't mean I become a self-centered, "It's all about me" kind of girl, however, I do believe we all need to love and REALLY like ourselves. I need to be a friend to me, before I can be a friend to ANYONE else.

When my husband and I got married, I told him that every 5 years I would like to renew our vows. Just to remind ourselves and others that we are still going strong! So, last year for my 5th wedding anniversary my husband and I went to Vegas with friends and family and renewed our vows with Elvis at the Graceland Wedding Chapel! What a blast!Celebrate yourself by doing something you really enjoy or just experiencing the day in a fun and silly way. Go to that restaurant on the harbor and have that glass of wine in the middle of the week , dress up for no reason at all and go out to dinner (makes people wonder who you are and what you are doing...they don't need to know you are doing it just for you!), wear that tiara with your girlfriend who is over for morning coffee, renew your vows, have those light up ice cubes to drop into a friend's drink when they come over to hang, or just taking that long hot bath at the end of a day. Simple actions that reaffirm to yourself that you are special and enjoying life in a unique way!

It's very easy to forget ourselves as we get caught up in our careers, husbands, children (even those with fur babies), and just everyday responsibilities. Don't forget to celebrate you and take a moment to acknowledge your accomplishments no matter how trivial society may think it is! It doesn't make you self centered or narcissistic but rather creates an aura of respect and love for yourself that others sense and in turn treat you in that manner. Stop waiting for that special day...CREATE IT! Remember, we attract what we are! This is where magnectic personalities are born!

Labels: , ,



5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

By the way, I love that episode too. And just so you know, I should be done with law school by the time your 10 year anniversary comes around so I'm thinking we need to just plan me tagging along for that trip then, whatcha think? ;)

Blogger Chana said...

Let's get to planning that! Where you think? Italy? Greece??

Blogger Webmiztris said...

I like your idea of renewing your vows every 5 years! plus any excuse to go to Vegas is always good enough for me. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really terrific post. I'm in the middle of undergoing treatment for a serious illness and one of the unexpected blessings has been time to focus on celebrating the little things. It's really helped me to be sure my priorities are where they need to be.

Unfortunately today's Celebration of Me leans more towards the laundry-and-cleaning end of the spectrum. I generally reserve my tiara for chemo days but maybe it will make scrubbing the kitchen floor less odious!

Blogger Ketti said...

So I just celebrated my second sibling's wedding (RSVP 1..no guest). At the bridesmaids luncheon this facelifted woman who probably got married right after high school and hasn't worked a day in her life looks to me and says "So are you the only one not married yet?". I wanted to smack that face-lifted smile off her face. Not, congrats on moving to yet another state by yourself, or buying your second house at the age of 25, or even starting grad school at Duke....just why the hell aren't you married? So my little sis (the other one not married yet) and I spent the rest of the weekend coming up with responses to "Why aren't you married"...here's a few: "Once they make it legal in this state we will be married"; "Once he can legally drive to the wedding, we'll be hitched"; "I'm a lover not a marrier"; "I just can't seem to limit myself to one man"....the list goes on (of course it got more inappropriate the more we drank!). Anyway, I agree that we should celebrate ourselves, not simply Hallmark induced holidays. So I'm announcing Monday, March 12 as Ketti's alive day (since I almost wasn't). Anyway, thanks for the posts...keep tham coming!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer