Monday, May 29, 2006
My Knight in Shining Armour
Well, a few weeks ago I found out that my husband is leaving me. No, not leaving me in that way. His company is sending him over to Kuwait to receive the government vehicles they been working on. I suppose we should be flattered that he was "handpicked" to go over there. He will only be gone for two months, staying in a nice hotel, and will be able to contact me. Back in his military days he was sent out at a moment's notice, no promise of communication, and for an indefinite amount of time. I do not envy military spouses and do not miss those days.

As I was driving back from a modeling job today, I was thinking about what I would miss about him being gone. I will obviously miss his handiness around the house and the fact that I always have someone around to laugh and talk with. More than that though, I will miss how feminine he makes me feel everyday. In a world where women are supposed to be strong, independent, and "I don't need no man", I enjoy being able to be what the world would consider, weak, with my husband. I can fall into his arms and cry, feel safe and secure, and know that he doesn't look at me like I am pathetic or feel burdened.

I also can admit to him that I do not know how to fix a toilet, change a flat tire (sorry, I just haven't learned that skill), change the oil in my car, or hook up my DVD/VCR to my T.V. He doesn't look at me as stupid or helpless. These things are just not something I have ever needed or wanted to learn. I enjoy being a girl and feeling like my husband is my "Mr. Fix It" and "Knight in Shining Armour." I don't find it degrading or oppressive. If I ever wanted to learn that stuff, he would be right there to teach me (and I suppose I should learn how to change a tire). However, I enjoy being able be the damsel in distress at times and needing him as a man. We all know that as women, we are fiercely strong and could handle just about anything on our own, but sometimes don't we just want that hero to swoop in and save us?? Let's face it, ladies and gentlemen, women love to feel sexy and feminine and men love to feel manly and that women still want them as their "Knights in Shining Armour."


2 Comments:

Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I still believe in a world where there is a man. We do still need them around.
My T13 is up.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I can totally understand you, I am not much diffrent from you. Like you said its nothing to be ashamed of because if you wanted to learn those stuff you could easily do so.
Hope that the time spent apart from him will pass quickly and without much saddness, but given your past experience you mention, I do believe that it will all be alright.
Nevertheless,
Stay strong and good luck!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer