Thursday, May 18, 2006
Thursday Thirteen

Thirteen Things About Folly Beach

1.Locals refer to Folly Beach as "The Edge of America."
2. Folly Beach is a nesting site for loggerhead turtles and each year their nests are marked off.
3.Front beach houses are to leave their lights off at night b/c when the baby turtles hatch their instinct is to follow the moonlight to the water...a porch light just may confuse the poor little guys.
4. The Folly Boat sits on the side of the road and always has a new message painted on it by the locals. It was washed ashore in 1989 by Hurricane Hugo.
5. My mom and family painted the Folly Boat for my wedding, "Happy Nuptials!" For my rehearsal dinner, we had an oyster roast and Frogmoore stew(shrimp, polish sausage, corn on the cob, new potatoes..all thrown together and steamed..mmm..good) at a local restaurant on Folly..an excellent way to show the out-of-towners my hometown and a local tradition!
6. The Folly Beach Pier extends 1,045 feet into the ocean. Whether it's a romantic walk, dinner, shopping for souveniers, or fishing your interested in...you can find it here.
7. It is against the law to cut, destroy, or break the sea oats! No walking on the dunes please!
8. Folly Beach has a huge erosion problem and therefore must be renourished every so often.
9. In summer 2005, the renourishment was taking place during our vacation out here.
10. They had a dredger in the ocean and had a HUGE pipe that pumped sand from the bottom of the ocean and dumped it on the beach and bulldozers pushed it around and built the beach back up.
11. We walked each day to where they were pumping it and watched them build up our beach. They were about a 1/2 mile away from our house while we were here and kept getting closer..by the time we left in August we could see them from our house. By September, they were right in front of our house.
12. I am blessed to have a generous Bonus Dad that shares his family's beach house and has been doing so since 2000. We started vacationing with Mom and Bonus Dad getting 2 weeks to do our thing and now get our own week AND share their time...up to 3-4 weeks with them now! Woo hoo!
13.This is my most favorite place in the world and feel like I have found my niche in the world!





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great TT!

I'm up too

Blogger Pixie said...

That looks like a really awesome place! And the wedding meal sounds soooo yummy! :-)

Blogger Regina Avalos said...

Thanks for stopping by my TT.

Blogger Margaret said...

Folly Beach is gorgeous. My uncle has a vacation house there. Great list! -Mix

Blogger Susan said...

Sounds like a GREAT place!!! I'd love to visit there.

My TT is up!

Blogger Just Me said...

I've never heard of sea oats before. Thursday 13 is so educational :)

Hope you had a great TT
Elle x

Blogger Norma said...

Do you work for the Chamber of Commerce of FOlly Beach? You've convinced me.

My TT is up.

Blogger Geggie said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, we lived in Savannah for 17 years. Charleston, is a remarkable city. Thanks for dropping by.

Blogger Scone said...

That's a wonderful description, Chana. Reading about the beach made me feel almost as relaxed as seeing it. Thanks for stopping by.

Blogger ms blue said...

It looks so scenic and charming!
Folly Beach is most definitely a place that I would love. You are lucky.

Blogger Mona-pily said...

Great TT! So informative! Folly Beach sounds like good times.

Thanks for the comment! :)

Blogger MaR said...

I love learning things about new places, great TT. Love the Folly Boat!! enjoy your time there, it sounds like a wonderful place to spend vacation time.

Blogger Jen said...

That sounds like a really neat place. I love the boat that everyone paints on.

I was just reading about the lady who hit your dog and wants you to pay to fix her car. Wha? Heaven helps us all if she hits your house or something, that would be a LOT of damage to her car that you'd have to pay for... Is that legal for her to ask you to pay?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Folly beach sounds like it has many stories to tell. Thnx for sharing :)

Blogger Me2nour said...

Love your TT
thanx for sharing

Blogger guppyman said...

Looks like a cool place.... I always loved the beach.

Blogger Haleigh Anne said...

I loved reading your list. You can tell you like that place. It's so beautiful...I can't blame you. I also like how you call him your Bonus Dad.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An awesome T13!

Loved the pictures you added!

Oh! I found this template and thought you might like it this winter ;)

I love Folly Beach too! It is one of my very favorite places.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Margret! Follly beach looks beautiful! Great TT!

Blogger Nature Girl said...

It sounds like heaven on earth! Great TT! I played too. Stacie

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer