Saturday, April 22, 2006
Tale of Two Princesses

Imagine with me, if you will, a pale, bald headed little girl, draped in a pink blanket, sitting in a big hospital blanket watching the Miss USA pageant while I am untangling the IV lines coming out of her arm. Just 10 minutes ago she was able to see her gramma's gentle smile and feel the warmth of her touch. Now, isolated from the outside world for the next 30 days, she sits and watches as I, Gramma, and Auntie fuss over her, trying to get her clothes on straight and tuck her blankets properly, all the while, our expressions hidden beneath masks and our caresses filtered through the rubbery feel of nitrile. She has already asked if her gramma could please take off the mask b/c she doesn't look like herself.

After TRYING unsuccessfully to console her, I tell her, "Gramma can at least look through the window of the door without her mask", and move on to my next tactic..distraction. Everyone is making small talk about the pretty girls on the T.V., only to fall silent when Miss Georgia comes on for her question. Not sure what made us listen to her, but I'm glad we did. "What do you think men could learn from women?", she is asked. Ha! That inspired a few comments from this peanut gallery! We catch a bit or all (I'm still not sure) of Miss Georgia's answer, "Women are strong....we've been walking around here in high heels all week....C'mon, seriously", she says. I catch the implication she is making and I look around at the two women with me and say, "Was that her final answer, is she kidding?" Although I can't see it, I'm sure their jaws have dropped like mine. Basically, she is telling the judges and America that men can learn how to be strong from women b/c we walk around in freakin' high heels and are uncomfortable for beauty???? Are you kidding me? Here I am preparing a FIVE year old and her family for a life changing bone marrow transplant and Miss Georgia is talking about women being so strong b/c we "endure" high heels, push our breasts up in bras, bleach our teeth to blinding shade of white, torture our hair into a style that is just-so, and put on makeup? ------->

Whether she meant it that way or not, her comment could not have come at a more appropriate time. Yes, appropriate. It made me think how shallow people really can be. Here is a little girl that has overcome more obstacles in her 5 years than any adult I know! She can only hope to be "so strong" as to wear high heels, coupe her hair, step into a beautiful dress, put on makeup someday! Oh man, it still peeves me to think of Miss Georgia standing there with her perfect hair, pretty face, flashing her charming, un-naturally white smile, trying to charm the judges with a non-answer. PU-leek, most people don't even know what inner strength or inner beauty is anymore. I am surrounded by it constantly and can't help but be sickened when others miss the mark so completely.


6 Comments:

Blogger Aurelius said...

Word.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it exactly. Too many people today are superficial. Nice blog.

Blogger Brandi said...

You are so right. I stopped watching pagents years ago when I was a little girl and felt worthless against them.

Now I have to convence my older sister NOT to put my neice in things ilke that.

I would rather have your little patient as a princess any day. I feel so sad for her and I have never even seen her.

Hugs

(ps. I added you! : D )

Blogger ...jus me said...

Chana...I think I have found a new blog I can't live without! I just got back from a Women of Faith conference, and learned alot about the strength of women, and their vulnerabilities. We do not need women portrayed in this shallow way...Shame on you Miss Georgia!
Thank-you for your comment on my blog! "inmyjammies.blogspot.com" Come on back anytime! I do love the old pictures I keep unearthing as I am going thru things... I'm off to read more on your blog...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautifully written post! I came here via IvoryFrog and I'll be back soon. I'll be keeping your patient in my prayers too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head with this one Chana! I couldn't agree with you more. Most people are so concerned about their look that they miss out on what is really there. I mean you have elementary school kids worrying about weight and that are working towards eating disorders b/c the only images they see of females plastered in the news are those of 5'11", 100 pound, 18 year olds that have already had at least 3 plastic surgeries to get bigger breasts, smaller everything else, and promote diets. It makes me sick. You go girl!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer