Sunday, April 30, 2006
An Intervention
I broke into a cold sweat and my hands got clammy. I could feel that panicky, sick feeling start to grow in my stomach. There it was! Oh! the horror, don't look! "Limited or no connective ability" the screen so coldly displayed. How could this be? I was just surfing the internet 10 minutes ago! What ever did I do to deserve this! "Baby," I said to my husband, "what's the matter with the internet?" "I don't know," he calmly he said, "my computer says the same thing." He went back to what he was doing, no concern for the fact that withdrawal symptoms would soon be setting in for me. "Um...I think you should see what's the matter and fix it," I tried to calmly say. "Ok, in a minute," he returned. "I think you should call the provider," I urged. Sensing my panic, he got up, got the phone, flashed me a "it's a good thing you are cute" look, and called the provider. I patiently awaited his return as I watched my computer try to connect to the internet and come up with that same answer, "Limited or no connective ability." Finally, I heard his footsteps coming down the stairs. "So, what's going on?" I asked. He looked at me and gravely said, "I'm sorry, we did all we could, but we couldn't save your wireless router, it's died. You are going to have to directly connect to the modem or be without internet." Gasp...without internet??? Are you kidding? I gotta have my internet! Stunned, I looked at him with a very puzzled expression and cried, "How did this happen? It was fine 10 minutes ago! I was surfing, blogging, sending emails, and now it's just gone? Like that?" Being the internet junkie I am (mostly to surf for credits), I gathered my laptop and walked up the stairs. I hooked into the cable modem. Ahhh...there it is..connection established. My insides calmed immediately. Whew! I never want to feel that way again.
Though I am with internet now, my X'd out antenna at the bottom right corner still blares at me as if to say, "Ha! You wore me out! Now you're stuck at this desk!" After a sufficient grieving period, we will get a new wireless, but for now I'll have to do my surfing on a leash. Perhaps, this loss of wireless is all for the best. It was getting too easy to be on the internet, anywhere and everywhere, I could surf for credits. Time to step back into the real world!


6 Comments:

Blogger Joanna S Kelley said...

Easy now, girl. Step back from the machine.

There. That's it. Just a bit more. Good. We're with you. You can do this.

LOL

Oh yes...it is such an addiction, isn't it? I was over at Wendy's and she sent me here and I see she sent you to me, too! (I haven't gone to see my comments thing yet...been doing other things on the INTERNET!!! OH MY LORD! Do you suppose there is a meeting for Addicted Internet Users??? AIU...Help! (lol)

I understand completely. We were on our way home last night and HE had to stop and wash the car, go to Autozone and all I wanted to do was Scream "Give Me Internet or Shoot Me". But instead I said "No, I'm not in a hurry", while fidgeting and tapping my finger.

Blogger momsmusings said...

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog, now I am here from Wendys to visit you!! I too am in need of a AIU's!! I just finally got mine back up and running!!

Blogger Rain said...

Internet Addiction is the very reason why I spent a portion of my tax return on a laptop...Geez I have it bad! lol. Thanks for stopping by my site and yes I love pin ups from all eras! Have a wonderful day!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, we all feel the pain with you! at least it was short lived. isn't it funny the way panic actually does set in?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer